Our popular Bronze NNAS Beginner Navigation Course is the perfect introduction to the art of navigation. Over the two days you will gain valuable experience of the skills you need to successfully plan and follow walks of your own devising. The course is practical and features as much time out on the hills as possible giving you plenty of opportunity to practise and gain advice and encouragement from our experienced instructor. By the end of the course you will have a solid grounding in map reading skills and some experience of basic compass techniques.
At the end of this course you will be able to:
• Navigate using a variety of maps and scales.
• Use 4 and 6 figure grid references with worded descriptions to define the
position of a map feature and to locate a feature on the ground.
• Orientate the map using handrails, obvious point features and major
• Use linear features (e.g. paths, tracks, clear boundaries) as handrails in
simple navigation exercises.
• Relate prominent landforms such as large hills and valleys to corresponding
contour information on the map.
• Orientate the map by aligning a compass needle against grid north and be
aware that magnetic variation causes an inaccuracy.
• Use an orientated map to confirm direction of travel.
• Use clearly identifiable features to confirm position along the route and to
recognise when the target has been overshot.
• Measure horizontal distance on the map and estimate distance on the
ground using timing, pacing and simple visual judgements e.g.100m.
• Plan and implement simple routes and navigation strategies based on the
• Recognise a navigation error within a few minutes and apply simple
relocation techniques using handrails and prominent features.
• Demonstrate an awareness of local and national access issues, access
legislation, personal responsibilities and the Countryside Code.
• Demonstrate appropriate knowledge of walking equipment, safety
equipment and emergency procedures.
23rd-24th January 2021 - Malvern Hills
13th-14th February 2021 - Malvern Hills
TBC - Private 1:1 Tuition at a date of your choice (Extra costs apply)
(All our NNAS courses include a Mountain Girl badge and certificate on completion)