A 2 day & 1 evening course which is designed to prepare candidates for the Gold National Navigation Award. This course is for people who have a good grasp of navigation, and wish to take their navigation skills to the highest level. It is expected that you will have either completed the Silver NNAS Award, or undertaken training at this level.
The Gold NNAS Award training course takes your navigation skills a step further. At the end of this course you will be able to:
• Utilise the skills and techniques of the Bronze and Silver Awards in the context of Gold Award navigation strategies.
• Utilise contours and fine detail as the prime method of navigation.
• Accurately: follow a route, judge distance, check progress against time, use relevant compass skills and maintain continuous map contact.
• Use back bearings and transits to confirm current position.
• Use aspect of slope as an aid to relocation.
• Select appropriate techniques within an overall navigation strategy.
• Navigate in intricate terrain in reduced visibility i.e mist or darkness.
• Select an appropriate, safe route in relation to height gain and loss, dangerous terrain and other major hazards.
• Assess the route ahead in the field in relation to prevailing conditions or changing circumstances (e.g. weather, time, ability/fitness) and re-plan the route appropriately if necessary.
• Shorten a route, use an escape route and know emergency procedures.
• Recognise the occurrence of a navigational error within a few minutes and apply appropriate relocation techniques.
• Select appropriate clothing, equipment and first aid for walking in remote areas in all weather conditions.
• Understand the physical demands created by hill and moorland terrain in all weather conditions.
• Understand the effects of cold, heat, fatigue and discomfort on decision making and execution of a selected route.
Cost Training £160
Cost Assessment £75
The Gold Award requires a minimum duration of 12 hours training. At the end of the training course, your course tutor will help you make a plan to consolidate your learning to go away and practice. After a consolidation period and when you feel ready you then come back for assessment which is essentially a day out walking in the hills (6 hours).
Gold NNAS Training, all 3 modules combined £160.00
Gold NNAS Assessment £75.00
After attending all three modules we will give you a consolidation plan.
When you are happy with your consolidation, you book your assessment. This will involve a day out in North Wales.
4th-5th September 2018 - Training in North Wales, Snowdonia
11th September 2018 - Assessment in North Wales, Snowdonia
TBC - Private 1:1 Tuition at a date of your choice
(All our NNAS courses include tea + coffee all day everyday and Certificate on completion)